Saturday, August 8, 2020

Unspoken Words-Tales Of An Iroko

Unspoken words of an iroko

I'm the colour green in my blissful years
I'm of different gender
With same agender
I'm the colour yellow in my waning years 

Am natures goodness
The creator creation

I'm an edifice 
I'm the Treasured Statue sitting right at the village square.
I'm a wonder for my admirers.

I'm the landmark
Thrilled by the wind
Scorned by the rain
Yet I stand

My roots are without  ranges 
My trunks are canopies
For the refuge

In silence i grew
Nurtured by nature
Tortured by creature
While I moaned
They smiled they've won

But I'm the essence of their being
I'm the roof over their head
I'm the morsel in their Stomach 
I'm the idol in their mysteries 
The Mantra in their histories
The hero in their novels.

Gone are the days 
When my fallen branches are honored
Gone are the days 
When my seeds are treasured
My  evolution awaits my extinction 
"NO," says the creators will.

I'm the episode of great sons
My sprouting birthed men

Yet without remorse 
They torse me to the fall
And when i fell 
The ground quiver 
"The iroko has fallen"

My nooks where their sanctuary 
For centuries they worshipped me for the Trinity.
Fed me with wine, blood, and cowries
 
I drank and eat to stupor
I flung my leaves
And branches
They took it for my words

They said
"I Fought their wars without armor
Alongside their warriors."
My bark bruised the warfare of arrows
We sang songs of victories
With gallant men
and fearless women
We combed territories 
Our bravery was without boundaries 

But when they received salvation
They sang songs of redemption 
Left every form of evil divination

And torsed me to the fall
And when i fell 
The ground quiver 
"The iroko has fallen"

I have never spoken
And never will I.
But my wonders 
Shall never retire. 


0 comments: